The fast tracked design and construction of the two and three storey medical facility provided a great outcome for MRS Property, and no sooner than it was opened with much fanfare, that CPR and the project team were approached to design an internal radiation oncology linear accelerator “bunker” as part of a holistic cancer care treatment. Logistically this was a seriously challenging project as the concrete and structural steel radiation shielding measures were built at ground level below the existing suspended first floor, all while the neighbouring medical tenancies continued to function.
- Complex design and construction within the operational medical building
- Existing suspended footings needed to be carefully removed and reinstated along with key services infrastructure
- Low height drilling equipment used to construct the closely spaced bore piers to independently support the bunker with a similar founding depth to main building
- Steel plates introduced to keep the concrete shielding thicknesses down below the floor above to reduce excavation volumes and program times
- Dedicated installation sequence utilised large steel beams to support the jacked plates and ‘roof’ reinforcing mats which were then encased in the concrete pour due to limited space for pouring and compacting concrete